Sunday, February 7, 2010

"Dear Friend"

"Dear Friend, I like to start my notes to you like we are in the middle of a conversation. I pretend that we're the oldest and dearest of friends..." - You've Got Mail.

I was thinking about you today... I was actually overwhelmed by the thoughts. What you have meant to me and how much I value our friendship. It is probably the thing I treasure most in this world. Such a little gift from heaven really.

I couldn't help but remember the times we have laughed so hard we cried. Me, curled up in the fetal position holding my abs and begging for you to let up for one moment so that I can breath. And you taking deep slow deliberate breaths that were all ultimately interrupted by fits of happy laughter and genius moments of witty rhetoric. I can barely ever wait for the next time we talk and one of us starts out with; "Remember that time when..."

I also couldn't help but remember those times we have felt so lost, alone, distraught, hurt, sad, embarrassed etc. etc. that tears were the ultimate and inevitable answer. I carried deep shame for ever crying, but not you. You embraced the moment, let it be what it needed to be and let yourself feel it for all it was. You taught me that this, this acceptance of what you feel is valuable.. maybe more than a chipper, happy pull on your game face smile. You have been there for me to hold my hand and guide me through, and I like to think, and pray often, that I have been that for you (even just a little).

Moments of insight, inspiration, and excitement for each other are rattling around in my head right now. There have been some amazing days of absolute nothingness that have meant so much to me. Time. I look forward to what tomorrow brings for us. I hope it is many many more tears of laughter and memories of time.

With Love,

Gaby

No comments: