Sunday, September 19, 2010

Praise to the Man

While we were in Vermont, we decided to take a side trip to the birthplace of Joseph Smith. The grounds were beautiful. I walked around for a while just listening to the music they had playing. It was quite and peaceful.


The original doorstep is still there to the Smith family home. I was so moved as I stood there looking at that step. The thoughts of the people who entered that home there sprang to my mind. I thought of Lucy, Joseph's Mother, and what she taught Joseph and how it was because of her teaching and love that Joseph was able to ask those important questions that day in the sacred grove. I thought of Joseph Sr. and how he supported his boy and believed his boy. He was the father Joseph needed. I thought of how they and the family followed Joseph across the country seeking refuge and safety in their worship. And I thought of Carthage. The story of Carthage coming to mind while at Joseph's birthplace, made me pause and think of his parents and what devastation that news must have had and the real world reality of that sorrow. But the eternal peace and happiness that is to be had. All of that started here.. here at this threshold... here at this doorstep.










3 comments:

brenda barrett-taylor said...

what? we went there just in july. it seems like such a remote place that nobody else could ever have possibly gone there. it was pretty though. we started the hike to patriarch hill (i think) but there were too many bugs. so we sat on the grass and talked to the old lady missionaries.

Anonymous said...

Great post, I am almost 100% in agreement with you

Anonymous said...

Good evening

Thanks for writing this blog, loved reading it