Monday, September 1, 2008

Where did you go Joe Dimaggio?

Ok so once again I have had a laps in my blogging.  But I have a good reason... really.  


So come to find out you can get kidney stones if you are dehydrated and exhausted.  This was the only reason the doctor could give me after a battery of questions about my alcohol, tobacco, coffee, drug,.... and soda habits. (of which I only occasionally dabble in the latter ;)  And I would like to go on record as saying the test for exhaustion is not scientific enough to convince me of its merits... I don't know a single sole who could have answered any of the questions in the positive.  

Thankfully I live so close to wonderful friends who helped me get to the hospital and kept me sane in a truly painful moment.  Brenda... bless her heart... stayed with me the whole day in the ER, and was even the voice of reason when I felt this strong need to talk to my boss about why I wouldn't be at work... She took my phone away from me for the entire day!

And in truly "Gaby" fashion The day wouldn't have been complete without a bizarre moment/ story.  I was in a cab (next time ambulance.. I know James) and everyone was getting me a wheel chair when the driver says to me,  "you have to get out of the cab I can't park in front of the hospital.. there is a street cleaner coming behind me..."  yes, I was kicked to the curb (which was scrubbed by the cleaner)  Funny now, but at the time I was so angry and unable to express it due to a more pressing pain... once the pain killers kicked in, it was all I could mumble about... that, and how my doctor looked like the woman I did my internship for... and I was afraid that it was her, and I didn't want her deciding what drugs I was getting.. Lol!

The picture is from brenda who braved watching me get the messiest IV ever!  She pulled out her camera and I made her promise not to take a picture of my face:)  

3 comments:

Emily said...

OH, my sweetest of all Gaby's. What an ordeal this was. And this picture of your hands made me miss you oh so much. I know, I know...it's just your hands but it is such a familiar sight to me! (minus the IV of course) Can't wait to see you soon.

brenda barrett-taylor said...

remember that awful cab driver? i still can't believe that. ya ya, i know i just drove you, quite madly, to the er but you're going to have to get out now. i can't park here or wait for your wheelchair to come. i seriously couldn't even understand what was going on. people just don't do that. normal people anyway.

britta said...

GABRIELLE GERMAINE!!!! Oh my goodness! I have been so behind on blog stalking that I only just found out that you were sick!! What a horrible friend!! I seriously wish I was there!! Please PLEASE take an ambulance next time! Oh my!! Feel better my little Gabitron! and CALL ME!!