Monday, January 23, 2012

Utah Lake

I am just feeling a bit nostalgic right now. I spent some time looking through my archives of photos from school and my time in the BYU photo program. I had completely forgotten about the photographs from the night I became a "real" photographer.




I went to Utah lake to photograph the sunset. These are the photos that came out of that trip. The last photo here was taken with my back to Utah Lake looking at the mountains right as the sun disappeared. The only problem was that to get the angle I wanted I had put one leg of the tripod in the lake and the other (shorter) was on some broken concrete slabs that were used to keep erosion on the side of the lake in check. And of course, right after I took this photo the camera started to tip towards the lake. I swung at it with my hand to hit it towards the shore. This caused the camera to fall the other direction and land on my camera bag. However, the momentum that I swung at the camera caused me to loose my balance and fall the other way into the lake! It was FREEZING!

When I told this story in my class after the critique my professor sat silently for a minute then said very seriously, "Well Gaby, I think you should know this makes you a real photographer." Then he proceeded to laugh for 20 minutes at me... lol... and pretty much started snickering every time he looked at me for the next week...




3 comments:

Meg Ruth said...

I love this story so much! And remember how you were the real photographer and I was "not Gaby?"

Emily said...

OH Gaby...I LOVE these. They bring back such memories for me too. And that story is priceless.

Gabrielle Germaine said...

Not Gaby... bwhahahah... such a great nickname ;) Oh man, those were good days!