Thursday, April 10, 2008

125th Street Stop....Ugh

So for whatever reason the 125th street stop for the A train is destined to be the stop that crazy things happen it seems.  A couple of weeks ago there was this.. I guess preacher... yelling into the train "God Loves You"  over and over again.  I was waiting on the platform and he seemed to feel it a necessity to be sure I personally understood this.  

"Do you know God loves you? God loves you? God loves you?"  He said to me over and over again.  I kinda chuckled and told him I was in fact aware of that.  He continued to ask me this question. 

A young man in pinstripe suit and wingtips walked up to him and stood between us.  "Mister," he said.  "That is not nice to be in her face.  She could get offended.  "I mean what if she was someone who didn't believe in God like a Muslim or Catholic."  

It took every bit of self control I had left in me not to bust up laughing.....   Well I hadn't thought about this for a while, until today as I waited on the platform my old friend showed up.  This time however he was not telling me that God loved me.  Today he wanted me to acknowledge that I was a sinner.  He said "you swear, you drink, you are an adulator. Do you know you are a sinner" I wanted to say "well actually...... " but decided against arguing my morals with the crazy on the platform.  And I have to say I think I liked his first message better.

And am starting to think I should transfer from the D to the A train at West 4th instead:) 

2 comments:

Meg Ruth said...

I remember that guy from 125th. Only I got him in the morning on my way to work. Every time there was always some guy telling him to shut up repeatedly and he would retort with how he used t be a crack head, and he was a "good crack head." But currently he is a good Christian.

God loves you Gaby!

Chaunté Vaughn said...

that is such a funny story. p.s. i'm moving to new york may 13th!